The inaugural Cava Academy welcomes its first forty graduates
Tuesday 24 July, 2018 London – The first students to attend the Cava Academy – a new three-day training programme organised by the Consejo Regulador DO Cava – graduated with honours yesterday in front of dignitaries from Spain, including His Excellency, the Ambassador of Spain in the United Kingdom, Don Carlos Bastarreche Sagües; Maria Naranjo, Director for Food and Wine for Spanish Embassy Commercial Office, ICEX; and Pedro Bonet, president, DO Cava.
The first group of students were all sommeliers from a wide range of restaurants from across the UK, including Edinburgh, Cardiff and even one from outside the UK, in Olso, Norway.
The top three students, who scored the highest in the theory and tasting examination, each receive an all-expenses paid trip to the region in the coming months. They were: Heidi Mäkinen, Assistant Sommelier, 67 Pall Mall; Filippo Carnevale, Senior Sommelier, The Ritz; and, Victor Pinheiro de Almedia, Head Sommelier, Aquavit.
Each day of the Cava Academy welcomed a wealth expert tutors, each renowned for their knowledge and highly regarded in the world of wine. The course lecturers were: Lenka Sedlackova MW; Fernando Mora MW; Sarah Jane Evans MW; Richard Hemming MW; Matthieu Longuere MS; and Silvia Grimaldo, communications director, DO Cava.
Speaking at the event, Pedro Bonet commented: “The Cava Academy has been a very successful initiative by the DO Cava and we have been delighted with the response from some the UK’s leading sommeliers that have wanted to take part.” He continued: “So later this year we will be expanding the programme to the other important export markets for Cava; Belgium, Holland and Germany.”
Students applied for the course in March, which was oversubscribed within weeks, and were then selected by the consejo to receive a bursary to take the course in July, 2018.
For more information about the course, click here.
Cava Academy Members 2018
- Abdelilah Ait El Caid Sommelier SUSHISAMBA London
- Javier Alonso Cardoso Junior sommelier Yauatcha City
- Beatrice Bessi Sommelier 67 Pall mall
- Filippo Carnevale Senior Sommelier The Ritz London – BEST IN CLASS AWARD
- Michele Carnevale Sommelier The Savoy
- Marco Cubeddu Sommelier Pollen Street Social
- Daniele di Blasio Sommelier TRISHNA
- Andrew Filipe Arcas Rogerson Sommelier Seven Park Place
- Matteo Furlan Assistant head sommelier The Ritz London
- Vincent Fusiello Head Sommelier Trinity College Catering Dept, Cambridge
- Guillaume Gerbet Junior sommelier Fera at Claridges
- Matthieu Ghezouli Sommelier Restaurant Martin Wishart Edinburgh Leith
- Piers Gibson-Birch Sommelier Wernher Restaurant at Luton Hoo Hotel
- Natalie Jansen Assistant Sommelier Restaurant Ã L’aise
- Lowri Jones Sommelier The Fat Duck
- Tony Lecuroux Assistant Sommelier Northcote Manor
- Jose Luis Hernandez Head sommelier Hakkasan
- Heidi Mäkinen Assistant Sommelier 67 Pall Mall – BEST IN CLASS AWARD
- Sylvain Marais Assistant head sommelier The Game Bird at The Stafford London
- Riccardo Mariotti Junior sommelier 67 Pall Mall
- Rafael Martin Wine buyer Barrafina Group
- Miguel Martinez Junior sommelier Hispania restaurants
- Claude Millee Assistant Sommelier Martin Wishart
- Juan Murillo Quiros Wine buyer Hispania Restaurants
- Oliver Nagy Sommelier Hakkasan Hanway Place
- Jurijs Nemkovs Sommelier Hakkasan
- Naroa Ortega Head sommelier Bar esteban / Escocesa
- Matteo Paciotta Sommelier The Fat Duck
- Antonio Palmarini Head sommelier SUSHISAMBA London
- Stefano Pasqual Head sommelier Maze
- Sylwester Piasecki Assistant head sommelier ZUMA
- Victor Pinheiro de Almeida Head sommelier Aquavit – BEST IN CLASS AWARD
- Kristina Ratso Head sommelier Anglo Restaurant
- Sara Rossi Assistant head sommelier Fera at Claridges
- Julien Sarrasin Head sommelier Club Gascon
- Mattia Scarpazza Head sommelier Petersham Nurseries
- Gaia Serafini Assistant head sommelier Roganic
- Erik Simonics Head sommelier La Dame de Pic
- Julio Tauste Assistant head sommelier Orrery Restaurant
- Jessica Walker Assistant Sommelier Asador 44